Yellow as a colour
Yellow on Trend
After a few weeks away in Europe in the cold weather, now coming back to Sydney and a warmer weather is a blessing. With some jet lag and the flu, I often find myself watching TV or reading at 3.00 am in the morning..
I have just bought the latest issue of Grazia and was so pleased to see that Yellow is on the TREND as it will be the up coming colour in fashion, therefore, I will use this example for my first workshop.
First thing first, let’s talk about colours
It has been known for a long time that colour plays a major role in setting up a particular mood or state of mind. Colours do affect one’s feelings, moods and emotions. Colours are wavelengths of electro-magnetic energy seen through our eyes. The colour we see is the part of the visible spectrum that is reflected back by a certain object.
Colours affect us in different ways:
- Colour is one of the languages of the soul, just look at inspired or meditative paintings.
- They influence our mood and emotions. Think about your last holiday.
- They have their impact on our sense of well-being or uneasiness.
- Using and avoiding certain colours is a way of self-expression; it sheds light on our personality.
- Colours affect our way of perception (light colours make a space look big, a high ceiling looks less high when painted in a dark colour)
- Colours have a symbolic meaning which is immediately recognized by our subconsciousness. It must be said that not all colours mean the same to all persons and all cultures. I will add that we do have emotions and feelings toward colours because of our life experience, what happened, when it happened, how did it happened and that will be the Pandora box of this particular colour. We associate our memories with the colours, the smells, the textures that surrounded us.
- They influence the flow and amount of energy in our bodies.
- Colours tell something about biological attraction and sexual availability. Think about animals.
YELLOW is used in many different situations and can have similar or different meanings for different individuals or cultures.
The following information provided below is for your general information. But please read it with an open mind and open heart, if certain words makes you sad or angry, take a moment to experience it, be aware of it and use it in your emotion painting to release it…
Preference for yellow:
- The colour of the sun, life-force, vividity, vitality and energy.
- The colour of cheerfulness, curiosity, alternation, flexibility, progress, amusement, contact through travelling and communication, learning and practical knowledge.
- A feeling for writing and speaking.
Aversion to yellow:
- A person who has aversion to yellow may be emotionally disappointed and bitter. May have tendency to rationalize feelings, or to avoid the depth of life by often changing relationships, many superficial relationships and/or constantly changing activities.
After reading this information, take a moment to see how you feel about Yellow and then have a play..
When I started to write this, my mind was able to see Yellow everywhere.. in shops, in food, on the street, people wearing yellow shoes, shirt, pants, yellow cars, flags..
When we are open to have a look at what is around us we discover more about ourselves but also about the world around us.
Happy Yellow Week!! and stay tuned for the first workshop on Yellow in two week time.
Where to find me and m Art:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtOnSurface
Art on Surface website: