Learning to say “NO” so you can say “Yes” is not an easy task.
Have you ever experienced where you were saying “YES” to all the projects or commitments that kept coming your way?
This situation keeps reoccurring because you just don’t know how to say NO, even when you are snowed under with other projects?
If you are over committed you’ll lose sight of your creativity, time and energy. You are stressing yourself out of worrying how to get all the work finish on time.
Just like “The chicken or the egg” scenario which one comes first?
So how do you say “NO” so you can say “YES”
I’ve been learning how to say “NO” for a while now, so I can say “YES” to what I want to focus on.
Right now my coaching business is my main focus, by saying NO, I can let go other tasks so I don’t get too overwhelmed and stressed myself out with a pile of other commitments.
I recalled a few years back I kept saying “YES” to help my family’s business and other projects. At first I was working a few days a week just to help out and I was ending up working 7 days, 9-5 and 5-9 doing my coaching in the evening. It sounded crazy right?
This is because I did not know how to say “NO” or I did not have a heart to say NO either.
So what do you do in this sort of situation?
It was hard for me as I didn’t want to disappoint my family.
Three year later, I finally had the courage to say “NO” and I’d made the decision to walk away so I can focus on what makes me happy, coaching creative businesses and working with creative community.
Now let’s talk about your art and design business. There is time when you need to say “NO” and I meant NO with no regret at all.
Whether it is NO to others for help or a favour, or to yourself. This post aims to help you with your ability to say NO. So you can say YES to your Art and Designs.
1. What are the reasons for saying NO:
- You are already committed to other projects and if you spread yourself too thin, your quality of work will be suffered. It doesn’t matter whether it is personal or business, too much on is too much.
- You want to have more time for yourself and focus in your art and designs business. Just because you have always taken on a lots of work and commitments in the past, it doesn’t mean you have to continue doing this way. Sometimes, we forgot that we went through all the stress we put ourselves through to meet the deadline of a project. Do you really want to go through that again or do you rather working on your art and designs.
- Reduce your stress level. Stretching yourself too thin can cause you stress, it’ll wear you out and you even get sick too. But the real damage is your creativity. Stress will block out what you love doing “Create” your art and designs.
- You are not a Saint or a Martyr so stop responsible for everyone and everything. When you say NO you allow someone else the chance to take over for you and it makes room for you to focus on your passion so you can say YES to the tasks that can help you grow your art and design business.
2. Put your thinking cap on:
- Have a think about whether you’re going to say YES or NO to the offer. Work out you pros and cons too. Be realistic what you can do and what you can’t. This can help understand the reality of the questions.
3. Plan out what and how you are going to say in advance:
- Somethings you might say:
- I’m sorry. I can’t take this work at the moment…
- No, sorry. I can’t…..
- Be firm when you say NO.
- Your answer need to be clear and decisive and your tone of voice also need to be firmed. If you come across unsure people may doubt your decision. Particularly your family they will keep asking even you had said the word “NO”. So be firmed and keep saying no and they soon will get it. Believe me, I know.
The next time you confront with this situation. Please think before you say YES to a project or a commitment. Be deliberate in how you spend your time and energy and you will be amazed at how much more you will accomplish in your art and design business and how much happier and lighter you will feel!
So say NO, so you can Say YES to what you want.
It is about honouring your passion,creativity and let them ‘SHINE!’