The start of every New Year is met with a host of lifestyle, financial and health resolutions with few ever being realised. It has been found that roughly 75% of people will stick to their goals for more than 1 week, however if we fast forward to the 6 month mark that number drops to less than 50%. It can be very hard to stick to your resolutions when the goal appears so far away, but here are a few tips that should help to keep you on track to achieving your New Year body!
- Be realistic. If you have always struggled to stay on track in the past you will not help yourself now by aiming to lose 1kg per week for 20 weeks. We all have our ups and downs so aiming for something in the realm of 1-2kg per month will be much more achievable.
- It might seem obvious, but if you do not make a plan in regards to your eating for the day or week and a schedule for when you are going to exercise you will always find it easier to take the simple option of take-away food or skipping that exercise session altogether.
- Talk about it. By talking to other people about your health goal you will help to manifest this goal by active encouragement from those around you. If people are aware of your plan they are more likely to step in when they see you begin to falter and help to keep you on track.
- Stick to it. It is suggested that it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit, so though the first few weeks will make it seem like your goal is an impossibility it will certainly get easier as time goes by.
- Reward yourself. This does not mean that if you manage to eat perfectly for one day that you can eat a tub of ice-cream for dessert, but simply that you should reward yourself with something that will not negatively impact on your resolution, such as a new pairs of shoes or a makeover. The choice is yours and it is limitless.
But above all, have fun! Yours in health.
0432 179 939